Marlin Ford

地域の歴史/文化財

このサイトについて

No votes yet

Marlin Ford was an ancient ford of the Clyde, 4 miles downriver from Glasgow Bridge. It connected the lands around Scotstoun with the Burgh of Renfrew. It was in use up to the time when the Clyde was narrowed and deepened in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries

Mary Queen of Scots may have used the Marlin Ford on route from Stirling to the Battle of Langside. This may or may not be the case but in a book by James Pagan ‘Sketch of the History of Glasgow’ 1847 on page 17 quotes “Intelligence, however, reached Murray that the Queens Army was marching along the south bank of the River Clyde with the view of fording the river at Renfrew”

In 1760, following the engineer John Smeaton's advice & plans the Glasgow authorities attempted to build a tidal lock at the Marlin Ford to help raise the depth of the Clyde to the east. This was to permit shipping to enter the upper regions of the river. The scheme failed due to erosion by the river and was abandoned in 1762,

The later successful narrowing and deepening of the river, initiated by the English engineer, John Golborne, eradicated the Marlin Ford.

Location:

Javascript is required to view this map.

コメント

新しいコメントの投稿

  • HTMLタグの使用は許可されていません
  • 行と段落は自動的に折り返されます。

書式オプションに関するさらに詳しい情報...

Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.

コネクション

ここでは、関連したサイトと比較、地図の探索、ボランティアについてやこのサイトへの行きかたなどがわかります。

行きかた

このグリーンサイトと同じ第一アイコンを指定しているサイトは自動的にここに表示されます。ここに表示されているほかのサイトを見て比較してみよう。
世界中の関連サイト
Choose a connections category from the list on the left.

マルチメディア

Be the first to add a photo, video, or PDF about this site! Each expresses a personal perspective.

インパクト

まだ誰からもインパクトは報告されていません!一番目になりませんか?

新しいコメントの投稿

  • HTMLタグの使用は許可されていません
  • 行と段落は自動的に折り返されます。

書式オプションに関するさらに詳しい情報...

Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.
Donate to GreenMaps